Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Someone's In The Kitchen With Alexia

Feeling bored and impotent at work today, so I thought I'd share my clever money and fat-saving method of cooking meat. So, I got me a George Foreman grill. It's awesome. Cleaning is a little bit involved, because you can't immerse it, but it's mostly the rinsing that's the tricky part. This thing grills anything, and fast. I don't recommend grilling hot dogs, though, as they just don't get hot enough. Anyway, last night I stopped by the grocery store before I went home and picked up a box of quart-sized freezer bags, six (mostly) boneless pork chops, two big old boneless chicken breasts, a $3 steak ("Outback" was the cut, who knows), and two 99 cent bottles of salad dressing, "Robusto" Italian and balsamic vinaigrette. I cut all the fat off the pork chops and put them in the bags, two per bag. I cut the chicken breasts in half and did the same. I poured about two tablespoons of dressing in the bags (one each meat -- one pork stayed plain), sealed them up, and stuck them in the freezer. The steak got a quick shot of Worcestershire, and half went to my dinner while the other half went to my lunch. That's the plan with the rest, too. Cook up one bag of meat, and it's enough for two meals. Add whatever leftover starch/veg I have from dinner to the handy Rubbermaid container, and it's an easy microwaveable lunch. I picked up some cous cous and some Ramen noodles (both so very fast and easy) too, so the whole thing came to about $24 or a little more than $3 a meal. I call that good home economics!

Oh, did I mention that I skipped karate to cut up meat? It all seems so very wrong.

No comments: