Thursday, March 13, 2003

Now That's New

I'd pretty much forgotten about Elizabeth Smart. I find the following quote very misleading and sensationalistic: "Elizabeth's kidnapping was part of a frightening string of child abductions that included the slayings of 7-year-old Danielle van Dam of San Diego and 5-year-old Samantha Runnion of Orange County, Calif." (AP) The fact that those abductions all happened in a short time frame is merely coincidental, not a "string." It also implies that Smart's kidnapper was predisposed to kill her. I think the whole thing sounds kind of fishy. Usually the media likes to report the horrid details as soon as they get them, but there are no horrid details here. Maybe there were none. Maybe her kidnappers were nice to her, or she went with them willingly. I'll bet the real story is interesting, but I also bet I'll forget all about Elizabeth Smart again before it's revealed.

No comments: