Monday, January 13, 2003

Speak of the, erm, Devil

Good old Scalia. I understand what he's saying about democratically changing the Pledge of Allegiance (even though democratically electing the president wasn't a big deal to him), but when he starts in on "God" being part of the American tradition, and that being a good reason to keep it that way and not misinterpret the Constitution, he irks me.

It's important to note, though, that conservative Christians, the people who want America to be a Christian country, vote. I hope that the rest of us are voting, too, otherwise, we get what we deserve. Often I think that maybe I truly am part of a very small minority of people who don't want to live in a country that plays by the rules of the New Testament. Look at our government; it doesn't exactly reflect the image of a group of progressive thinkers. I'm not very politically savvy myself, but I know that I have to vote, to educate myself on the candidates and the issues at least enough to make an informed decision. So many people think their vote doesn't matter, they give up on being a part of the democratic process. That stinks, because voting on a local level does help to change what happens at the top. Even those folks who just vote for president are missing the boat. Your vote for Senator or Representative informs the presidential election and thus the appointments of the Supreme Court. So we get Scalia and the upcoming scary conservatives Dubya is sure to appoint. Then where will our separation of church be?

No comments: