Monday, January 06, 2003

Recommended Daily Allowance of Irony

More reasons why I don't fit in with the other Gen Xers: I don't see what so cool about ironic detachment. Sure, I can be sarcastic and mocking, but that's only about things I genuinely dislike and would spend no significant time on. Like Ann Coulter. What I mean is the tendency for some people to take part in an activity -- like bowling or singing at a piano bar -- because they find it amusing that people still do that sort of thing. They listen to New Wave because the synthesizers sound "so old fashioned." They wear shirts they think are ugly because it makes them cool. See, I'm not like that. I really enjoy bowling and I don't think there's anything pathetic about a bunch of people enjoying themselves singing showtunes. I honestly think "Oklahoma!" is a great song. I think all electronic music sounds hopelessly modern. I've been known to wear ugly shirts, but they're not the kind anyone likes but me. And I couldn't care less.

I'm sure it's much more exciting and cool to take some Ecstacy and visit the local piano bar for the express purpose of laughing at the patrons*, but I just don't get it. Call me uncool, call me mundane, but I like like things other people happen to think are corny, rather than like things because they're corny. Does that make sense? My interest in kitsch is not an actual interest in kitsch, but the simple fact that a lot of my interests are considered kitschy. Still, for some reason, that makes me the object of some ridicule among some of the less secure people I've encountered. Not that I care; if I did, I wouldn't loudly proclaim my love for karaoke and playing with Barbies. Speaking of playing, I found something that makes me happy every time. If I feel down, or just not giggly, I just push the stomach of my Tickle Me Cookie Monster and watch him laugh and shake all over. It's like a magic elixir! You can't help but be cheered by that little guy! I keep him on my couch for accessibility. Yay, Cookie Monster!


* Full disclosure: I met someone in a bar this weekend who said he loved Marie's Crisis, but his reason was that it was so hideous to see all of the "washed-up ex-actor old homos" singing their hearts out, and he found that funny. Isn't he the pathetic one?

No comments: