Thursday, January 16, 2003

Note to Self

I just found the voice memo feature on my cell phone, and I love it. It's like having a mini-recorder for my random thoughts. Now, when I'm sitting on the couch, expounding to my television set, I can record a reminder to address the subject in the blog! Who needs a home computer? Let's see, what special things did I think of last night...?

1) "Dragnet's back, and Harry Morgan never looked so good!" Hmm, I guess you'd have to have watched the original to get that, but I do, and that's what counts.

2) Ok, you may or may not have heard about this case, in which a woman, who was caring for her cousin's children while the cousin was in jail, hid the dead body of one of the children and locked the other two in the basement. A lot of people are blaming DYFS, the New Jersey Department of Youth and Family Services, for not following up on the children. Last night on the news, case workers from DYFS held a conference wherein they complained how difficult it was to do their jobs properly with few cars, cell phones, or computers and such heavy caseloads. One case worker ended her comments by asking any of the attending if they would please sign up to be foster parents, which would also help them. I have a lot of sympathy for these case workers. Being a social worker isn't a glamorous or often rewarding job. They need these things to help them do their jobs. One case worker, a man, was on the verge of tears describing how futile it is to try to watch out for these children without the proper tools. I was glad to see them defend themselves so well. It's unfair to pin so much blame on a watchdog agency. The ultimate blame goes with the perpertrator.

OK, more later, I've got a tasting to go to. I love this part of my job!

No comments: