Friday, January 17, 2003

Ooh La La, Chanel

A water main broke in my neighborhood today, so I had to take a different route to work. There I was, walking down 57th Street, checking out the windows of the fancy stores, most with names I've never heard, then Burberry, Jil Sander, then, ohmigod, look at that dress! I stopped in my tracks to stare in the window. The dress had a white, gauzy off-the-shoulder bodice, a underbust-corset-style waistline and a brown patterned skirt with a handkerchief hemline. It was so pretty. Then I focused in on the belt and the little logo I'd seen before. I backed up and realized I was looking in the window of Chanel. I know that to some people, that's not a big deal. But to me, Chanel has always signified the best in fashion. The classiest, the fanciest, and the most French. It also reminds me that I live in New York, you know, because you get used to it after a while. Sometimes you have to walk two blocks in a different direction to appreciate it. Wow. Chanel. I could never afford to walk in there. I'm so glad I wore my good hat and my cute boots today.

No comments: