Thursday, April 03, 2003

Today Sucks

Yeah, so, a year ago today my mother died. So, I kind of hate April 3rd. Also, it's my half-birthday. Crappy Half-Birthday to me!

Actually, I'm not going to let this get to me. It's pointless. All my friends think I should examine my feelings, but what's the point? I'm sure that my subconscious feelings won't fester inside until I act out against my loved ones and co-workers for no discernible reason. Seriously, if you don't consciously think about things, can they bother you? I'm leaning toward no. Is that terribly naive of me, to think that if I just refuse to let something bother me, that it won't? It's not like I want to forget about my mom, far from it. But why should I let myself get all sad when there's nothing I can do to change the fact that she's gone? Oh, yeah, this is really helping me not think about it.

Let's think about war, shall we? What the hell is up with newscasters calling Pfc. Jessica Lynch "Private Jessica"? Jesus! If the soldier were Pfc. Johnny Lynch, do you think they'd be calling him "Private Johnny"? No. The persistance of the media calling women by their first names has gone beyond irritating into condescending and chauvinistic. I'd write an angry letter, but I can see the headline now: "Alexia Worries Her Pretty Little Head About Complicated Matters" Subhead: "Femi-nazi Just Needs a Husband" I guess it's marginally better than being a married woman with no first name at all. "Hi, I'm Mrs. Johnny Lynch, how do you do?" Gag me with a spork, for real.

No comments: