Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Dream City

Check out the time, kids, I got to work before 10 am. Woo hoo! I was having this dream (pre-alarm) that I was running late to deliver a speech at a conference. I had put off writing the speech until the last minute, so I had to do my note cards on the train. Of course, I never had to get on the train because I could just go through a door at my mom's house and into the Marriott Marquis, but these things are like that. I went into the hotel and grabbed a cup of punch and a peach from the decimated breakfast area. Then I realized I didn't have my ID, so I couldn't get my name tag. So I was back home, going through my purse. There was a blue ring I haven't worn in a long time (so I wore it today), regular stuff that's in my purse, like my phone and my check book and stuff, but also my clippers and a stapler. It was a lot of digging, then I remembered that I don't have a driver's license and they'd just have to accept my passport. I was rushing around and my mom got out of bed (it was alternately 6:90 (??) and 2 am) and told me I had plenty of time so just relax. Then I was getting dressed, and I put on these hot pink denim pants, white socks, a light colored shirt, and a matching hot pink denim jacket. The weirdest part of this part of the dream was that I was a boy, and I was appalled that I had to wear something so queeny. However, I was a very Simon Le Bon sort of boy, so I don't know why I would be complaining. Anyway, I could feel myself receding from the dream, so I just opened my eyes and decided to get out of bed. It was amazing. If only I could do that every morning.

I am noticing a recurrence in my dreams lately, though. Sorting. I keep having these dreams where I'm sorting and organizing things. From index cards to pudding snacks, I'm like Rainman in my dreams. Maybe it's a response to a lack of organization in my own life, but I'm pretty well organized. Not perfectly, and that does bother me, because I'd like to have a really good filing system for my life, but not bad. Also, I'm dreaming about food a lot. The other day it was ice cream, lots of it, with crushed up Oreos. Then it was all those pudding snack and pies. This morning it was a huge, ransacked breakfast buffet. I ate the peach in seconds. What's that all about? Of course, I've been thinking about food a lot because I'm huge and I want to eat healthy, but I love food that's bad for you. Also, food is expensive, which concerns me. But I'm not much of a sweet tooth, which is why the sort of food I'm dreaming about (which I hardly ever eat in the dreams) is surprising.

OK, I have no idea where to go from there, so I'll just say

No comments: