Tuesday, December 10, 2002

Now, I Hate New York

What the hell is going on with this transit strike? A few points, if you'll bear with me.

Mayor Bloomberg says he will jump on his bike and ride to work in the morning. Plus, he said his old bike was in poor shape, so he was going to go out and buy another one. OK, even if I weren't deathly afraid to ride a bicycle in New York, and even if I could afford to buy one, I live in Bensonhurst, which would get me into work sometime around lunch, and dead. So glad that our Mayor can afford to live in Manhattan and bike to work, but some of us aren't so stinking ri-- I mean, lucky.

I simply have no way to get to any express buses or ferries or trains. The walk would be so far, I'd have to get up at 4 am. Park and ride facilities are great... IF YOU HAVE A CAR. What, am I supposed to ask my friend in Bay Ridge to come east to pick me up then drive west back to the city? Where's he supposed to park when he gets there, anyway? There's no parking in this city on a regular basis, much less when everyone is driving in, 4 people per car or not.

And speaking of that, Mayor Mike thinks it would be a good idea for you to pick up strangers on the street who may need a ride. He assures you that since traffic will be moving slowly, it won't be dangerous. I -- Whu -- The hell?

This is just insanity. I know the city needs to act like it can live without the transit workers so it doesn't have to cave to their demands, but it can't! We need the public transportation system! I can't work from home, and I can't get into the city in a halfway timely manner. Let's all cross our fingers that they settle this thing by Sunday!

By the way, I'm so sick and tired of all the crap going on in this city (largely because Rudy screwed up and left Mike holding the bag), that I'm looking into getting a job on a cruise ship. Something, anything, I can't stand it anymore!

No comments: