Monday, December 09, 2002

Make Love, Not War

I wish I knew someone like Phillip Berrigan. A person with a true conviction that war is unnatural and should be anathema to humans. Someone who wouldn't derisively call me a peacenik, someone who could teach me how to be an activist for peace and inspire me to take that action. People like Berrigan devote their lives to causes, at the expense of leading a "normal" life, but these people are true heroes to humanity. It's a shame, that in a time when worldwide bloodshed is the norm and the US is on the verge of creating more, anti-nuclear and peace movements are weak, characterized as "liberal nuttiness," and sparsely attended. Recently, I read that the new version of the draft ("Conscription 5.0"), if the Selective Service Act is reinstated, may include women. I'm probably too old, but hell, I wouldn't be any good in a war! I'd probably accidentally shoot myself in basic training. There are times when I am honestly bewildered that people don't see war as so much madness, especially in this global era of advanced technology, widespread education, and immigration. Personally, I don't trust anyone who can't (or won't) see that war and murder are the same things. Here's to you, Phillip Berrigan, for not giving up on humanity.

No comments: