Thursday, December 19, 2002

It's Too Easy!

Get ready for some AP links...

Erstwhile human being Paul McCartney proves his status as "World's Biggest Git" once again by switching the credits on 19 Beatles songs. This isn't the first time he's tried to weasel out of the "Lennon-McCartney" credit. Yes, Paul, it's very sad that when you made the initial agreement to use that credit that your name came second. Maybe some foresight would have helped there. Also, if it doesn't matter what the credit says, why change it? I like many, many of the Beatles' "Paul" songs, but I think Paul McCartney is a right bastard.

The movie version of Chicago has been nominated for eight Golden Globes. I hear it's supposed to be pretty good, and I'm happy to see musical hitting the big screen, but Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones? I'm appalled that Bebe Neuwirth wasn't cast in the film. She has screen experience and is the Broadway favorite. It reminds me of when Michelle Pfeiffer was cast in the movie Frankie and Johnny after Kathy Bates won a Tony for her work in the role. Speaking of Frankie and Johnny and the Claire de Lune, Rosie Perez is taking over for Edie Falco on Broadway. These are good choices. I know Pfeiffer used to be a smack addict, but I still can't see her playing "run down" very well.

Another celebrity thinks his opinions on world politics are worth as much as his box office returns. Sean Penn took a little trip to Iraq to tag along on the fact-finding mission and was apparently misquoted by the Iraqi News Agency. This one is so weird, it could be reprinted word for word in The Onion and not look out of place.


Anti-Choice Is Not Pro-Life

So, at the UN population conference, Assistant Secretary of State Arthur E. Dewey says, "The United States supports the sanctity of life from conception to natural death," and "There has been a concerted effort to create a gulf by pushing the United States to violate its principles and accept language that promotes abortion." I am so tired of people saying these things in the name of the United States. There is nothing in our Constitution or our laws to agree with the first statement. Our Supreme Court upholds a woman's right to have an abortion, and it's not right for the US delegation to block responsible international reproductive policy. This is scary. How soon will the administration turn within and attack its own citizenry? The reactionary nature of this administration would be laughable if it weren't so frightening.


One Ring to Rule Them All

I saw The Two Towers last night. During a particularly climactic scene, I thought to myself that Lord of the Rings would be our generation's The Ten Commandments. It's truly epic and awe-inspiring. You really have to see the film on the big screen, with the good sound system. Peter Jackson's use of extreme close-ups and unthinkably long longshots just wouldn't play as well on a 13-inch TV. It's a very stimulating series. So far, I've cried at both films, for different reasons. I don't want to give anything away, but I do have to say, "Go, Ents!" I want to put Elijah Wood in my pocket and take him home. I definitely want to go for a second viewing. I can't believe I have to wait another year for the final installment. Incredible casting, awesome directing, impressive special and computer effects, a better than expected adaptation (from what I understand), and beneath it all, heart. These movies were obviously made with everything the contributors had in them to give. Anyone who dismisses them as geek fodder doesn't understand. And the geeks who complain about the minor discrepancies need to get some perspective and maybe a clue a to how movies are made.

Can I buy my tickets for the last film yet?


And Another Thing...

The New York City Council passed the ban on smoking in workplaces. That means bars, restaurants, bowling alleys, etc. It won't take effect until next spring. I'll tell you one thing, in the next few months, I better not hear anyone complaining about how smoky a bar is while I'm around. They'll have their little pristine bars soon enough. Anyone waving their hands, "subtly" coughing, or making that wrinkled-up-nose face will get a face full of Newport smoke from yours truly. That's kind of my guarantee.

Maybe I'll have a party the day after the ban takes effect. It'll be an all smoking, all the time party, with the exception of stinky cigars. Clove and pipe smokers will be positioned strategically to enhance the general aroma. Oxygen masks will be available for those who overdo it.

Or maybe I can organize a rowdy group of smokers to stand outside of a residential bar, then call the police and pretend to be a resident complaining about the decay of their quality of life.

Maybe I could become a gangster, like Al Capone. But I would be smart and pay my taxes.

Most likely, I'll just bitch about it in my blog.

No comments: