Friday, September 06, 2002

Wax On, Wax Off

Last night was my first karate class. I signed up for 100 classes at Tiger Schullman Karate. I take two classes a week, Monday and Thursday. By the end, I'll be a yellow belt in karate. How cool is that?

It was a lot of fun, and I can't believe how quickly an hour can go. I'm feeling the exercise today, but not debilitatingly so. I noticed a couple of things about myself that popped their little heads out as soon as class started. I'm a perfectionist, I'm competitive, and I crave approval from authority figures. I could see myself doing it, but I don't know any other way to be than to try to excel. It's weird. I took this perverse sense of pride in being able to stretch my leg higher than my partner. I am such a freak! Anyway, maybe taking a class and getting that stuff back out of me again will help motivate me in other parts of my life. I don't think it's a bad way to be. Those traits have gotten me where I am today. I just have to watch it so I don't alienate my fellow students. However, they seem to take it pretty seriously, too. I'm very excited about karate. Just taking any kind of class will help me with finding structure and discipline in my life, as well as the physical conditioning, and meeting new people. Yay, karate!

No comments: