Tuesday, September 17, 2002

Real World, Schmreal World

In further proof that no one in charge knows what to do about public education, the Bush administration is pushing for more single-sex public schools. First, it's vouchers for private school. Now it's making public schools segregated. I really don't think that our Department of Education fully grasps the concept of public education. Did any of them go to public school? Just curious. The arguments in this situation are obvious and long-standing. Educating girls in an environment where they don't have to compete with boys or with other girls for the attention of boys is fine and dandy, but it doesn't prepare them for life in the real world. Most kids who go to public school versus private school won't have the means to remain sheltered that way after graduation. Then what? Women's college? Fine. Then what? The same can be said of black colleges: they don't prepare students for life in American society and breed chauvinism.

What public schools need is more money. More money for more and better qualified teachers, supplies, resources, and upkeep of the buildings. Funneling that money away from public schools and into vouchers or new specialized public schools is not the answer, and only benefits a small percentage of students rather than benefiting the system overall. Full disclosure: I went to public school and graduated in one of the poorest states in the country.

Disclaimer

I know I've been very bitter and political lately. Just for the record, I am not a Democrat (I'm non-partisan), and I don't have it out for Bush in particular. He just happens to be perpetrating the kind of political stupidity that makes me the most irate. Can you really blame me for being concerned that our country is going to Utah in a handbasket? Terrorism, war, corporate corruption, secret tribunals, unqualified detentions, Dick Cheney, ambiguous boycotts in Cincinnati, smoking bans in New York, birthday party, cheesecake, jellybean, boom! Add to that that we are being represented to the world by a guy who can't pronounce "nuclear" and makes menacing speeches that make him look bonkers, and I'm a little nervous.

I think my mom would have been a good president. If she had a problem with some dictator, she'd call him up on the phone and say: "Saddam Muhammed Hussein! Are you listening to me? What did I tell you? *loud sigh* So, why haven't you done it yet? Are you trying to make me mad? You don't want me to come over there, do you? OK. So, just let the UN in, and then you can come over to the White House for some dinner. What are we having? Reeraws to rind moonbeams on. Never you mind. You'll eat what I make you. OK. Good. Don't make me have to call you again. OK. Bye-bye." And all would be well. In speeches, if she had to menace people, she'd just raise her eyebrow. Someone would have to convince her to not say "irregardless" and pronounce "wash" without an "r" sound, but otherwise, she'd be pretty good. Plus, then my stepfather would be the First Gentleman (?), and everybody loves him. He'd be the next Jackie Kennedy, but different. Instead of pillbox hats, the nation would adopt the "fishing joke t-shirt and jeans with a hole in the crotch" look. Beards would become very popular, and Gary Burbank would be nationally syndicated. There absolutely wouldn't be any impeaching, because that White House would be spotless, both in integrity and in cleanliness. My mom would dust the cobwebs herself. Only she can see the ones that are really high up in the corners. The White House collectable plate collection would be envied the world over. And forget Millie, Checkers and Socks, the halls of the Craven White House would ring with a cacophony of barks, meows and growls.

Oh, sorry for the tangent. But maybe you can understand why a little fantasy about my mom being the POTUS is preferable for me to think about than real life.

No comments: