Thursday, September 19, 2002

The Street Are Alive With the Sound of Slaughter

I can't believe it. I knew that the meatpacking district (NYC) had gone shi-shi, but the Hotel Gansevoort? Some guy (Raymond Visan) who owns some supposedly legendary nightspot in Paris (Buddha Bar) is opening a über-trendy "eatery" at the Hotel Gansevoort, which is in development at Gansevoort and 10th Avenue (plus, he's opening a Buddha Bar at 16th & 9th, next to Chelsea Market). Oh yeah, I sure would like to stay in a hotel that is smack dab in the middle of the meatpacking district. Imagine, waking up to the sound of trucks around 4 am, greeting the new day's fresh aromas of blood, guts and fat as it washes down the street. Be careful not to slip! It makes me want to puke, even more than I did when I would visit Mother at 14th Street and Washington during the dog days of summer. Sometimes the stench was intolerable. But that's the best place to put a nightblub crawling with unsavory characters. Now it's all haute couture boutiques (that's a lot of "u"s) and art galleries. It's just weird. Why does everything have to get so "nice"? Maybe I should move to Detroit!

No comments: