Thursday, September 05, 2002

This Is Not A Joke

What has happened to AIDS awareness? New drugs make it possible to live longer with AIDS, but they don't prevent the transmission of HIV, which is still going on, every day. I'm talking about America, here. The situation in Africa is too different from ours for me to comment on here (not that I won't later). Even though the case of a man contracting a second HIV infection is in Brazil, I've heard of this behavior here. What behavior, you ask? Unprotected sex with anonymous partners. Wow. It boggles my mind that in 2002, people can be so stupid. I can see how he thought that since he was in a vaccine trial (to boost his immune system) that he might be protected from HIV. Yeah, I can see that, if he's the village idiot. How does he know he's not getting a placebo? Who's to say the vaccine has any effects at all? I'm just ranting here because, even though his carelessness has shown that it's possible to be infected with more than one strain of HIV, no one is going to listen to the recommendations that come from this discovery. Even HIV+ partners need to use condoms. And why should they listen to it? It's so depressing. The whole thing is so depressing. But see, the thing is, that if all condoms all the time becomes the norm, we have a better chance of protecting the young from AIDS. I don't know if I'm making any sense here, all I know is I don't want to see any more of my friends get this thing. I don't want to get it. I don't want people to brush it off for a couple of years then see a backlash of kids getting infected. Now, I understand how environmental awareness was popular in 1990 with the twentieth anniversary of Earth Day, then diminished over time as it went out of fashion. That's not cool, because the earth still needs some saving. But AIDS awareness is not a fashion statement. It's about saving our lives, here. It's about educating people on how not to contract a totally preventable disease. Stop barebacking and lying about it. It's that simple. And I am through.

No comments: