Friday, February 28, 2003

Ahoy, hoy!

Check me out: I've been working all morning, which has kept me from the blog. How I love the end of the month, what with the billing and all. A nice, monthly task that requires organization and patience. Too bad it doesn't take very long. Then I have to convince colonial dames to clean up after themselves.

Anyway, to the topic. Telephones! I asked Verizon to turn off my land line service, and they complied without comment. It was great. They're even leaving a change of phone number message for me. It's hard to believe that a year ago I didn't even own a cellular phone, and now I'm going strictly wireless. I have a tendency to fiercely resist new technology, until I try it and then embrace it fondly, stroking technology's shiny hair and murmuring sweet nothings into its ear. It happened with the Internet, the PDA, and now the mobile phone. I'm still not crazy about CDs, but I don't openly disparage them anymore.

The second telephone issue: I have an old phone in my junk drawer, and Verizon told me I might as well give it to charity as its technology (it's not quite a year old, remember) is obsolete. So, I found this site, and I'm going to donate my old cell phone to help victims of domestic abuse. Hmm, there has to be a better term. I hate the term "victim" applied to someone who is obviously removing herself from a dangerous situation. How about, "survivor"? Nah, that conjures images of Jeff Probst menacing a woman with grubs. Well, whatever. I guess if I was in the situation myself I could come up with a better term, which begs the question, who's doing the marketing for these organizations? Maybe "victim" really is the preferred term. Okay, victims, I'm giving you my phone. Duck!

No comments: