Thursday, February 27, 2003

Cough Syrup Crackdown

Obviously the FDA doesn't have much going on. They're pulling cough syrups until they test an ingredient that has been used for decades, with no extraordinary ill-effects, recommended by physicians as the best way to treat a productive cough, just so they can be the ones to say that it works. I don't take a lot of medicines, but I love guaifenesin (they're only pulling the one-dose-a-day kind, not the multi-dose sort). I learned a handy way to remember which cough medicine to take for which kind of cough. The other kind has an active ingredient that starts with a "d," but I can't remember what it is. Anyway, you think, "g for gunk" and "d for dry" to determine which cough syrup to buy. It's genius.

Oh, yeah, the FDA seems to be doing the equivalent of a secretary sorting through her files from 1998 because she doesn't have anything else to do. I think the FDA should take up blogging if it wants to kill some time. The worst part is that this process takes money away from the other 66 companies currently producing one-dose guaifenesin products. This seems like some sort of favoritism for Adams Laboratories. It makes me so mad. I hate the FDA.

No comments: