Thursday, February 06, 2003

Monkey on My Back

When you write a blog, they style takes over your everyday writing and your conversations. I'll be really worried when I start trying to attach links to my spoken words. My old man sent me this link today and I sent him the following reply:

"This is very interesting. I always marvel when people say it’s okay to censor if the material is inflammatory or can hurt someone’s feelings. I think that’s bull. Freedom of speech and artistic expression is bound to result in someone being offended, especially if it’s done well. I know a man who thinks that books that say biased things about Jews (he’s very pro-Israel) should be banned. He’s not from America, and he doesn’t get our objections to banning books. Sometimes I think the Arabs and the Jews just want to go on hating and killing each other forever, because they never seem to want to engage in a dialogue about their underlying issues. It’s as if they actually dug to the core of their differences, maybe they’d see how fragile their arguments (religion) are and that would be unacceptable. Personally, I’m getting sick of what is basically a bunch of cry-babies with scary weapons holding our world hostage with their ignorance and hate and petty feuding. I appreciate a playwright who has the guts to write a play like this, which seems very reminiscent of plays about Vietnam in the 70s. I think it’s pathetic that the Sycamore High School principal said they weren’t equipped to deal with students’ emotions if they saw the play. In other words, they don’t think they could handle having real discussions with their students about real life? Well, way to be a leader of youth, moron. This is why so many kids have their minds blown by their Freshman Comp teachers in college. They learn absolutely nothing of analytical thought in high school and when a prof tells them that something in a book might actually relate to reality, they think they’ve discovered a cure for cancer.

"Sorry for the stream of consciousness. I think I’ll just reprint this in my blog."

No comments: