Wednesday, February 05, 2003

Cooking with Alexia

OK, so I'm on a mission to eat everything in my house before I go out and buy anything more. I decided to take a mental inventory. I have a pretty good memory, so I don't think I've left anything out.

Freezer
half a box of potato and cheese pierogies
freezer pops from last summer that are too hard to open
coffee flavored frozen yogurt
whole grain Eggo waffles
ice

Fridge
Butter/margarine
milk, lactose free
eggs of dubious freshness (bought in December)
leftover baked beans, vegetarian
some pretty old whole grain bread
very small amount of leftover scalloped potatoes that should be trashed
applesauce... damn, I think I left it out on the counter this morning
two fat free Swiss Miss chocolate pudding cups
some old salsa
mustard of three varieties, horseradish, A1 sauce, sugar free marmalade, pickle relish, light mayo, worcestershire sauce, a very small amount of ketchup
(some nailpolish)

Cupboards

Garlic
salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, seasoned salt, Mrs. Dash (very old), chicken bouillion
Flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla extract, green food coloring, red sugar
Pasta - small shells, ziti, whole wheat spaghetti (ick)
Some possibly stale frosted mini-wheats
A nearly empty bag of Hershey's kisses
Plain couscous
Cream of Wheat, instant
Oil - vegetable and olive
a can of chickpeas
two sleeves of saltines
3/4 of a jar of unsalted peanuts
some peanut butter I'm afraid to open
a banana that has to go soon
decaffeinated tea bags
(the can of Spam I got for my 21st birthday, not for eating)

The thing is, I should have eaten a lot of this stuff a long time ago, but I got lazy (and wanted flavor and substance), so I ordered out. In my future, I see a smoothie, some iced tea, pierogies in butter, chickpeas and couscous with chicken flavoring, cereal, waffles, random snacking, and a trip to the produce lady for something to eat this pasta with. And sweet, sweet crackers. Just watch out, though, as soon as my George Foreman grill (bought for a mere $15) arrives, I'll be stocking up on family packs of chicken breasts and pork chops like mad! Break out the freezer bags, we're going to start shopping like it's 1998!*

*The year I got serious about not starving but still paying my phone bill.

No comments: