Friday, August 16, 2002

Smoking Saves!

Okay, that's not necessarily true, but I found a great website that has a lot of resources about what smoking bans do to cities and towns and their businesses. NYCCLASH is a group that promotes smoker's rights. I'm more interested in the page about the ban, currently, because it's about more than smoker's rights, it's about why the ban is bad for business and bad for society. They're having a rally at City Hall (south side) on August 26, 2002 at 6 pm. I'll be there, portable ashtray in hand. I have class, ya know.

Seriously, though, I am very concerned about the concept of "quality of life" laws legislating behavior. As a recent New York Times article said, even Giuliani didn't tackle smoking. This whole "Bloomberg as mayor" thing has determined that I will never vote for a businessman for political office. At least career politicians know better than to piss off a bunch of people who are hopped up on nicotine and used to carrying a burning ember close to their faces. Dig it kids: smokers are just tougher than the rest. This is neither good nor bad, it just is what it is, as they say in New York.

I'd like to see what the percentage is of voters who smoke. The recent Newsday poll shows 77% of those polled are against the ban. I bet Hevesi wouldn't have gotten this bright idea (or repealed recycling). He seemed to have a grasp on the people's real needs. He's getting my vote this November! So is Marty Golden, who is running for State Senate. Not that you care, but, this is my blog, after all.

No comments: