Friday, August 23, 2002

Deus Ajuda Quem Cedo Madruga

That's right kids, "God helps those who get up early." Reader Vitor from Brazil has swapped a slang saying with me. I gave him "Word to your mother," accidentally.

After reading many and varied web pages written by teenagers, I have come to be completely desensitized to angst. I find all of their little problems (my boyfriend missed his hourly phone call, my parents keep beating me) trivial in the extreme, and won't even let myself get down about things that happen to me in protest. Apathy is breeding in me like mildew on an old shower curtain. Yikes! The horror! Now I'm picking up the tendency to write bad metaphors! Similes? Anyway, I can't take it. The next thing you know, I won't be able to relate to teenagers at all, then I'll be just like some people I know whose names I won't mention for fear of not getting a Christmas present. I need exposure to teenagers who can spell and who understand that blogging about the illegal drugs you've been doing isn't exactly the smartest thing in the world. I can learn about the music from my friend Larue. She may be almost 40, but she listens to all that new stuff. If I have to hear about how much she loves the newest Pink CD one more time... Just kidding, Larue! You know I love you! But still, I don't think I'm going to make it. Yes, I may be considered "cool" by the kids because of my old-fashioned and kitschy ways, but I don't think I'll ever really be "down" again. *sigh* That's okay, I can be a classic, a legend, Edie Gorme, Carol Channing, Bette Midler. I just always wanted to be Cyndi Lauper, ya know?

No comments: