Wednesday, July 24, 2002

That Was 1988... Ugh

I've been rather disturbed lately about a new television show coming out this fall. It's about this guy, who's about to turn thirty, but he somehow goes back in time to high school. In 1988. When I was a sophomore. In high school. Do you see where I'm going with this, people? I just don't think I'm ready to confront the tackiest years of my life right there in incredible true color, blazing from my masterful 13" TV set. I mean, don't they make these kinds of shows about old people? There's something very wrong here! At least the WB's version of this concept is set in 1981. More of the Freaks & Geeks age group. I'm much more comfortable with that.

Secondly, they put the show on Fridays, at 9 pm. Am I really part of the demographic expected to be home on Friday at 9 pm? It's just unfair. Sure, sometimes, I'm home then, and occasionally I'm watching television, but I'm usually just checking out a little Sabrina the Teenage Witch before I go out, for wild and crazy partying, the sort that very, very young and irresponsible people do. Am I alone at being disturbed by this? Add to that that the Oldies station I listen to (shut up) has started playing Naked Eyes and Hall & Oates, and it's no wonder I sleep until 4 pm on Sundays! I'm being conditioned to believe I am old and decrepit, and I won't have it, do you hear me? This is me, not having it.

I need to go do something stupid now to prove that I'm still young and nubile. Oh wait, I did that last night. Maybe I'll just rest up for stupidity. Go home, sit on the couch, watch The Shining, have a nice cup of tea, maybe do a little needlepoint.

No comments: