Tuesday, July 30, 2002

Back in the Saddle

Finally back from an exhausting weekend relaxing at the lake. Between the swimming and the hiking and the drinking, I got a lot more exercise than I normally do on a weekend. It feels good to be sore, though. Perhaps I'll try exercising on the weekends more. Maybe spending time walking through a park or something. I could do to firm up the old bod, no question about that. Also, I discovered I really have very little lung capacity. Almost time to quit smoking, I think.

Funny think about the blog: it feels like a diary, but it's not. You have to be very careful about what you write, so as not to offend potential readers or give away secrets. But you want to write about all those little things... just the act of writing a blog makes one the kind of person who needs to tell things. I have been one of those people for a very long time, maybe for my whole speaking life (and that's not much shorter than my whole breathing life). I find it very hard to keep anything completely to myself. Sometimes I try, but it always comes out, at some point, to someone. Do I have any secrets, shared with no one? I don't know. I don't think so. Some I've only shared with one or two other people, but it's enough. Never tell me a secret that I can't at least tell to someone who will never meet or know you. It has to come out somehow. What is that? Is it a feature of narcissism? The need to be listened to or to be entertaining in some way? I find it very hard to be quiet or internal. For me, living is interacting with other people, discussing thoughts and ideas, not keeping them all to myself.

I'm a highly social animal. I don't know why. Even when I don't particularly like the people around me, I do my best to be a good conversationalist and try to get them to like me. I like being alone sometimes, but often I want to be around other people. Otherwise I just feel like I'm not really living enough.

No comments: