Monday, July 22, 2002

I Want A T-Shirt That Says, "I'm Too Old For This Shit"

The Siren festival was a good time, specifically the Cirque de Siren, "when Siren festival is gay for one hour," according to MC and renown drag king Murray Hill. Lady Bunny was raunchy in the extreme, the Dazzle Dancers got nekkid (big surprise), Armen Ra played "Kashmir" on the theremin (spooky), Drag King Dred bit the apple of his loins (it's complicated), The Glamazons shimmied in fringed bikinis, Cashetta sang a charming ditty about the endowment of black men, LAVA demonstrated that girls can be strong and pretty, Joey Arias did a brief (and briefly clothed) version of "All of Me," Lance the tap-dancing drag queen and Little Dickie did a surreal cow-milkmaid number, the knife thrower of the Autonomadic Sideshow almost removed what Murray Hill doesn't have, and Sade Pendavis brought down the house, er, beach, with an incredible rendition of "New York State of Mind."

There were also more Special K jokes than you could shake a stick at. It was probably the dirtiest thing I've seen in daylight. Although I enjoyed the hell out of it, I think it probably didn't do much to advance the cause of gay acceptance among the crowd of regular beach-goers who wandered into the audience. I mean, Lady Bunny and all her jokes about crack whores, hormone pills, VD, and alcoholism, though hilarious, aren't representative of all gay people, though she would have you think so. I mean, aren't the people in Cirque de Siren just your everyday freaks? I wouldn't have said that Cirque de Siren was gay, just chock full of eccentric performers, most of whom happened to be gay.

This is all my friend Larue's fault. She talked about how she didn't think the Pride parade represented her, and I had to go and start thinking.

In other news, my niece is enjoying herself in big, bad NYC. We all enjoyed ourselves so much on Saturday night that I slept until 4 pm on Sunday (they were out of the house by 11:30 am). Oh yeah, I'm a hell raiser.

Conserve electricity and water! And remember that I love you.

No comments: