Thursday, July 25, 2002

Tell Me Something I Don't Know

A recent study found that women have more receptors for emotions in their brains than men do, and that they can remember emotions better than men can. Really? I mean, I guess it's good to get a confirmation, but haven't we always known this? Men are from Mars, women are from Earth, that sort of thing? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the menfolk. But I've also been around enough to know that they're just different from the womenfolk. The only thing that concerns me is how small the sample size was in this study. A sample size that small will get you laughed out of the 5th grade science fair. However, like all studies that support my own untested opinions, it will get my full support.

Just a thought, what if being more receptive of emotions handicaps us in some way? What if, like Star Trek's Mr. Spock, men are really superior to us because they don't have to deal with as many of those pesky feelings? Is that why we don't make as much money as our Y-chromosome-havin' counterparts? Nah, that can't be it.

I'd be interested to see what the study says about the types of emotions men and women experience differently. I've seen men hold onto an emotion like rage or jealousy a lot longer than most women, whereas women may feel something like sadness or bitterness more intensely than men. See, this is why I could never go into psychology. Too much projection. Psychologists should be put through personality tests to confirm that they're not projecting their own issues onto these studies. Of course, if you gave those tests starting in the freshman year of college, the major of Psychology would have considerably fewer students enrolled by sophomore year. Never met a more screwed up bunch of kids than the Psych majors.

No comments: