Tuesday, November 19, 2002

This, That and The Other

James Coburn died. I really liked his acting. He deserved that Oscar for Affliction, but you should also catch him in The President's Analyst a completely nutso flick from the swingin' 60s. According to his filmography, 1987 and 1970 were the only years in which he didn't have a role in film or television. What a career! Coburn was 74.

Someone who was on the 18th Avenue platform of the N train wants us all to know that he or she is a "Super Spic." Now you know.

A California junior high school has apologized to parents for not giving them the details about all the speakers at their recent "Diversity Day." Along with a Holocaust survivor and a disabled person, they featured a woman who addressed anti-gay hate crimes. One parent said to the school board, "As Christians, we think it's very sad that this culture has come to a point where our dear little children have to think about these things." I think it's very sad too. I think it's terrible that people would beat a man to death for being gay. I hate that I have to think about it, but as a responsible member of society and oh, a human being, I have to. So maybe those "dear little children" (who are actually teenagers) should be taught a thing or two about human values like tolerance and love for one's neighbor before we set them loose on the world. I fear what would happen if they only had their parents' narrow views to draw from. *cough*Laramie*cough* No wonder Christians are always being stereotyped as ignorant, what with such clever spokespeople as these.

Next week is Thanksgiving, yay! I mean, I like turkey and all that jazz, but I also get a week off work, road tripping with my friend Larue to the great Midwest. I get to see my niece Josie for the first time (she's almost six months old!) and my dad for the first time in a couple of years. Also, turkey.

No comments: