Monday, November 18, 2002

The Blah Apple

Does anyone remember when The Limelight was the epitome of cool, frequented by the best sort of degenerates and fashionistas? Back when my lily-livered college classmates wouldn't come with me on my one trip to New York while it was still open? If you do, please tell me all about it, because I only got to attend Peter Gatien's second and much more milquetoast incarnation, albeit for moderately interesting events (Interim, Zenwarp, Convergence). The pain of it was sharing the space with the khaki-clad bridge-and-tunnel masses, whirling their glow sticks and hurling their stomach contents to the thump-thump-thump of some bastardized form of music commonly known as "house" or "electronica." Yeeeagh.

The first time I went to The Limelight, I walked right up to the front of the line, confidently dragging along the current SO, determined to bypass the line or never go in at all. Normally, I don't mind a small line that's formed for the purpose of more efficient money-grabbing, but I don't do the stand-in-line-and-be-chosen routine. This line was made of of mousy looking people in earth tones and the occasional belly shirt. I wasn't having any of it. I was wearing a 10-inch long quilted black vinyl mini-skirt, black patent-leather open-toed five-inch stilletos with a 1-1/2 inch platform and ankle straps, a sheer silver tank top and four strategically placed strips of electrical tape. As I approached the velvet rope, they unhooked it and stepped aside. That was a moment I had to savor, and one of the best ones I have from Limelight. It's gone now. They gutted it and sold off all the interior design, returning to H.R. Giger what was H.R. Giger's. The new club is opening this week, and it's to be called Estate. Well, we'll see, I suppose, but considering the state of New York nightlife, and the state of popular music in general, I strongly doubt I'll be making many trips there. Clubplanet.com pointed me to this invitation which confirms my previous strong feeling. Yah, Danny Tenaglia, Cheetah and the ridiculous ticket price of $40 pretty much seal the deal on that one. Oh well, Everything's favorite hostess, Abby Ehmann, will be bringing us another sweaty rock party on Friday. Check out www.editrixabby.com for more info.

No comments: