Friday, October 11, 2002

Love in the Time of Pneumonia

That's how I feel, anyway. There's little more distressing than curling up in bed and spending two hours straight just coughing. Think you might fall asleep? That tickle hits and you're leaning over the side of the bed, grabbing the floor, expecting to see your right lung at any minute. Hi, right lung! For some reason, the cough suppressant isn't working, no matter how much you swig straight from the bottle. You begin to ponder the merits of taking large quantities of the anti-anxiety pills you have in the back of the medicine cabinet. You start to berate yourself for never having enough coma-inducing medicine in the house, but in the middle of your self-directed rant, here comes the cough. Make sure you don't start crying, though, that'll only make it worse. Sucking in great whooping breaths between each hack, you wonder if you're keeping the upstairs neighbors awake. It gets so bad you start to regret not getting married to that doofus from Tennessee eight years ago, because at least then you'd have someone to run out and buy some NyQuil. After a fantastic four hours of sleep, you wake up an hour before the alarm goes off, and seeing the futility of trying to get back to sleep once your diaphragm starts waking up, you get up and go to work in the pouring rain. Yeeaaaugh. Try to tell me that doesn't suck.

Guess I won't be making it to the Kitsch Inn Reunion. I could always buy massive amounts of non-drowsy cold medicine and vow not to drink or smoke. Hahahahahahaha. Whew. I needed that. Oh no, laughing makes me cough.

Cereal Killers

I've never seen a real serial killer at large before, that I remember. I was too young for Son of Sam or the Zodiac killer. This sniper in the DC area, the one they're calling The Tarot Card Killer, is the first for me. It's upsetting. I'm very glad I don't live in that area, but you know, who's to say it won't invite a host of copycats or a new flood of serial killers. The most disturbing part about this guy's MO is that the victims are of both genders, all ages, and different races. Compare the threat of this sniper to the vague threat of terrorist attacks. At least the folks in the DC area have an idea of how to protect themselves. Dang terrorists. Why can't they be more specific?

Peanuts for Peace

Good for Jimmy Carter. He was the first President I could remember, and regardless of the gas crisis and all that jazz, I always liked him as a person. His work with Habitat for Humanity and his work for peace is inspiring. I think it's ridiculous though, that George W. Bush, Tony Blair, and Rudy Giuliani were nominated, especially when you compare their past works for peace and human rights to Carter's. That's about all I have to say on that.

Speaking of Peace...

Thank goodness someone in Congress has moral fiber. Too bad his colleagues are more interested in getting re-elected than in saving the lives of American soldiers.

No comments: