Wednesday, October 23, 2002

Get Over Yourself

"For baby boomers, the digital sound files called MP3s are merely the trend's newest incarnation. 'We're a generation that has lived through so many modes of experiencing music - from vinyl to 8-track to CD to cassette and reel-to-reel,' said Melissa Easton, 38, an industrial designer who lives in Manhattan's Chinatown. 'We're sick of changing our modes of listening.'" -- AP story about MP3s and Boomers.

Okay, I'm sorry, but you want to quote a Boomer? Don't quote a 38-year old, at the debatable end of the generational spectrum. If this chica was listening to reel-to-reel, it definitely wasn't as a normal function of daily life. And, give me a break, already. Boomers are the only group that was sold vinyl and CDs? Not quite. Hey, my dad's 64 and he's been sold everything from acetate 78 records to CDs... does that make him even more burdened by MP3 technology? Oh, I'm sorry, being over 55 makes him invisible to the record industry's marketing machine. I forgot. But what about me? At 29, I've bought vinyl, casette tapes, CDs, downloaded MP3s and recently bought an 8-track player (hey, it's GenX irony, ya know). The whole story is a ridiculous marketing anecdote that doesn't mean anything to anyone who isn't trying to figure out how to market music to Boomers. Who cares? Why is it an AP story? Why am I ranting about it?

No comments: