Thursday, July 10, 2003

The Right Opinion

I just read a review of Pirates of the Carribean that was very negative. I really enjoyed the movie. Could I be wrong?

Maybe it's an anti-Disney thing. To wit, the reviewer describes the movie as an "F/X-rattling Disney feature based on the Disney theme-park attraction and founded on the Disney notion that American character is best strengthened by exposing children to the horrors of computerized skeletal buccaneers." That just seems biased to me.

I didn't go into the movie expecting more than a fun flick about pirates, and that's what I got. I don't know what the reviewer was expecting, but "A boom-blast-blare score by ''Gladiator'' cocomposer Klaus Badelt proves that if suspense takes place without drums and horns to announce it, it don't mean a thing" sounds like the writing of someone who doesn't like action films or pirate films at all. I also didn't feel cheated or ignored the way the reviewer did: "There may be nothing more fun for actors than experimental exaggeration, especially when filming on a Caribbean island. But there's nothing that makes an audience feel less welcome than not being in on the joke." Huh? You're talking about Johnny Depp, here. And Bruckheimer and Disney. I saw a film about pirates that used pirate movie conventions, some slightly anachronistic jokes (but thank goodness, nothing outright out of place) and actors who acted like you want pirates to act. Sure, Jack Sparrow is eccentric, but the characters openly note that in the film, so where's the sly wink?

My biggest beef was that the girl never got sweaty or dirty (one forehead smudge doesn't count) and her manicure was perfect.

I recommend the film, for fun. See it in the theater, because it's loud and flashy and exciting. Plus, Johnny Depp looks so much better on the big screen.

No comments: