Thursday, December 25, 2003

Seeing Things In A Whole New Light Isn't Necessarily A Good Thing

So, I see this ad for One True Thing, you know, the movie where Meryl Streep is Renee Zellweger's mom who gets cancer. Who the hell is this movie for? If you are a daughter, you could maybe appreciate your mom more, but it's not likely. If you are a daughter who has lost her mother, especially to cancer (hi!), all you could get out of this film is more grief. I'm tired of being forced to confront my greatest pain every other time I turn on the TV, thank you. Maybe a daughter of a mother who had cancer and beat it could feel so very lucky. Good for them. Personally, I hate people whose mothers beat cancer. Sure it's silly and irrational, and sure, a very close friend of mine just had that happen, but it doesn't change the fact that I want to punch her. So do me a favor, Haollywood, stop making movies about people with cancer. It's not like AIDS, which is a subject about which we need more exposure and education. It's cancer. It's ugly and painful, and the families of its victims are tired of being sad all the time.

Hey, if the families of Columbine students could get the final episode of Buffy Season 3 postponed because students used weapons (of the mostly medieval variety) against the town mayor-- who had transformed into a giant demon-- I can request that ER never reruns the episode where Mark Green's dad dies from lung cancer. I can request that Sharon Osbourne shut the hell up about how she was able to beat colon cancer (which is what my mom had) because she's so rich. I know nobody will pay attention to my requests, but if I can't vent in my blog, where can I vent?

No comments: