Thursday, December 25, 2003

Holiday Notes

Happy Christmas Eve, sixth day of Hanukkah, post-winter solstice, etc. As a Santa worshipper, I'm about done with this holiday season. Of course, it'll really be over when I wake up wearing one sparkly earring and an evening gown hiked up around my waist, with mascara smeared all over my face, on my neighbor's floor on New Year's Day, but as far as the standard holiday goes, I've gotten my best gifts already. My very thoughtful and excellent boyfriend got me Seasons 1 and 3 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD, as well as an amazing Silkstone Body Fashion Model Barbie Doll. She's fabulous! And she has nifty lingerie and headshots. My roommate gave me a cute little purple brocade makeup bag with a tiny travel brush with a mirror on the back. My friend Scott gave me a candle that lights up a Christmas tree scene, and my friend Jae bought me a dress from H&M which I haven't seen yet.

I got my boyfriend a picture frame with a shot of us smooching at his birthday party, a T-shirt and CD from the hilarious Homestarrunner site, the Looney Tunes Visual Guide and the Looney Tunes Premiere Collection on DVD. My friend Scott got a candle with a white rose holder, Larry got a gift certificate to his favorite store, Jae got rhinestone Hello Kitty jewelry, and my roommate Candy got a foil cutter and two wine stoppers. I had fun buying gifts this year. Normally, I hate obligatory gift giving, but I just kept my list small. I felt like, considering my employment status, that no one was expecting anything from me, which made it more fun to shop. Not that I ever left the comfort of my computer, but, still.

In other news, some sicko came through our front gate, let their small dog mount our stoop and crap right on our brown doormat. It was very disturbing. I'm assuming my landlord cleaned it up, because it was raining, the stool was loose, and I wasn't touching it. It was easy enough to step over. It's gone now anyway. Why would anyone do that? Who in the house has such a perverse enemy? I know it isn't me, because I don't know anyone with a dog in the neighborhood. Very strange.

By the way, I read in an article from last year that lots of people knew about Strom Thurmond's love child for years, but neither of them admitted to their true relationship. How lame.

What else is happening?

I watched 8 episodes of Buffy today, as well as two soap operas and an episode of Smallville. I have issues. I need to have my TV taken away. Wait, I spoke too rashly. Never mind.

Saw Return of the King, the other day. It was fabulous. I had some trouble with the light tone of the ending, the heavy homoerotic tension between Frodo and Sam, and the fact that some people haven't figured out that you need to arrive early to a movie in New York if you want a seat, but otherwise, I was floored. I totally cried through most of it. Full disclosure, I totally cried while watching Buffy and Passions today, too, so it's hard to judge by me. I tend to get emotional.

Seems we're burying my mother's ashes next to her parents on Saturday. A holiday surprise, I guess.

Oh, you know what pisses me off? No, besides that. Besides that. Look, I know a lot pisses me off, you don't have to rub it in. Anyway, I hate receiving Christmas cards "return to sender." What is a person to do? God forbid someone I haven't talked to in over a year wouldn't let me know that she had moved. Ingrates.

Okay, no more screens. My retinas are fried. Happy Holidays! Maybe I'll do a Best of 2003 later in the week. If I can tear myself away from Buffy.

No comments: