Friday, August 01, 2003

Today's Fashion Peeve

It's true that I have a general dislike for today's women's footwear. I can hardly ever find a pair of shoes that I would buy or be caught dead wearing. Ugly toes, whether too pointy or too elfin; heels that are too short or strangely shaped or make one's calf and ankle one entity; colors and fabrics that assure that you will never find anything to wear with them; mixtures of dress and athletic styles; and cheap construction that causes the balls of your feet to start burning like you're walking on hot coals after about two blocks of foot travel.

But one of the worst things about women's shoes is the trend. When a style of shoes becomes popular (or Sarah Jessica Parker wears them on Sex and the City), you can't swing a dead cat without hitting some poor fashion victim sporting the latest hideous trend. Currently, I hate those mesh chinese slippers with the sequined embroidery. First of all, if you want to wear house shoes, stay in the house. Secondly, I really don't want to see your whole toe covered by pink mesh. It nauseates me. Third, when you and your friend are wearing the same shoes, the same style skirt, and the same stupid top with your bra straps showing, it's time to get a personal sense of style. It's strange that a pair of shoes could so infuriate me, but I'm easily irritated by ubiquity.

Next thing you know, people will be wearing white shoes after Labor Day. Look, white shoes are hardly ever a good thing, but in the fall, they're just tacky. I don't care what anyone says about fashion changing, some things are just right. And stop wearing sheer black stockings in the daytime, stockings with sandals, and knee highs with skirts. You look stupid.

So says Alexia.

No comments: