Sunday, February 29, 2004

Return of the Freaking King

Give me a break, already! Lord of the Rings: Part Tois has won every Oscar it's been nominated for so far! Even best original song. I love Annie Lennox and everything, but Mitch & Mickey's song from A Mighty Wind was just so awesome and perfect for the movie. It's just ridiculous, and the people accepting for them go on and on and on, reading these ridiculous laundry lists of thank yous. I loved the movie, but this is totally unfair, and getting quite boring.

Also, as I watch this show, I realize that there are only four actor categories, yet the whole Oscar buzz revolves around actors. Nobody there cares about documentaries or animated shorts or film editing. Hell, I don't care about those things. I don't work in the film industry, so I can't make a judgement on who did a better job of sound mixing. I feel like I could vote on costume and makeup, and I think LOR was just handed those two awards. Pirates of the Carribean had much better makeup, IMHO. A pair of pointy ears, some fuzzy feet, and a white beard don't match Johnny Depp's dreamy Jack Sparrow vs. Geoffrey Rush's creepy Barbarosa, John Rhys-Davies' amazing dwarf transformation notwithstanding.

Anyhow, they should get do all the boring tech awards and short subject awards two weeks prior to a tight, two-hour, all Hollywood actors show featuring the following awards: Best Supporting Actor and Best Actor (men and women don't have to be separated. Just pick the best one, for goodness' sake); Best Picture; Best Director; Best Costumes and Makeup; Best Song; Best Score; and Best Overall Effects. Dumb it down and get it over with.

(PS, Julia Roberts looks good, for once. She should wear her hair down and strawberry blonde to more awards shows. The year she won, she looked like an idiot. Much like Marcia Gay Harden tonight. What's with that crazed helmet hair?)

No comments: