Wednesday, November 19, 2003

You May Live Up Oprah's Butt, But You Don't Know Shit

Dr. Phil is a moron. After he told one woman that making fun of complete strangers and enjoying it was abnormal and wrong, he told a newly married couple that their thirteen-year old daughter was right: their public displays of affection were inappropriate, and again, abnormal. Bite me, Dr. Phil. First of all, if the first woman was exercising her aesthetic values by criticizing random passersby, she's totally normal. Everyone does it. Some people just do it nonverbally. I maintain that lashing out at strangers keeps me from lashing out at my friends. My targets never know they were judged, and everyone goes home happy. Plus, I validate myself as having better taste/style/manners. All terribly healthy.

What? Sorry, I don't have time to listen to your opinion on this. I'm in the middle of something. And for goodness' sake, pull up your pants.

Then he tells a thirteen-year old that her "Ew, gross" comments about her mother and stepfather are appropriate. The audience agrees that their warm, affectionate behavior is over the top. Video clips showed them doing nothing but kissing. How can you judge their behavior out of context? Teenagers may not want to see their parents being touchy-feely (and more likely, stepchildren aren't crazy about seeing their parent and stepparent getting it on), but tough. Really! I see people smooching in public all the time. I even do it myself. If they're keeping it out of church and PTA meetings, let them have their fun. In a few years they may not want to kiss each other. Newlyweds, hell, anyone who's in love, should be allowed to PDA their brains out, as long as the clothes stay on. People who don't like it are just jealous. I know, because I have been known to not like it, when I wasn't getting any of it.

Alexia has spoken.

No comments: