Monday, March 09, 2009

White Ibis Morning

We left Jacksonville last night, and it was a bit sad to leave a place where we had done four shows and slept in the same beds for two days! The Wilson Center for The Arts at Florida Community College of Jacksonville is a small theater, but lovely. Our audiences ranged from quiet to uproarious, and we even had one patron dressed as Gilligan! I think it would be really neat if we developed a Rocky Horror style cult following!

My dresser, Gail was so perfect. She altered my opening number dress so I don't have to pull it over my head any more, and made my quick changes so smooth and stress-free. Thanks, Gail!

I also had my first experience at a Dave & Buster's. After practically melting down into a blubbering mascara mess due to stress and hunger, I pulled myself together enough to join the gang for a quick walk to the D&B near the hotel. Now, when I'm hungry, I always choose fat and salt over salad. So, naturally, I ordered cheesesticks, a sirloin steak (medium-rare), loaded mashed potatoes, and something called frazzled onions. Washing it down with a sweet tea made me happy to be south of the Mason-Dixon line! One bite of the potatoes -- mashed with cheese, bacon, onions, and sour cream -- filled me up, so I took a to-go box and let the rest of the group enjoy the arcade games. I'm such a pumpkin these days! It was midnight, and I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore!

Of course, if you go to bed early, you get up early (thanks, Ben Franklin!), so I was able to run off that steak on A.C Skinner Parkway. I passed by several industrial parks, frequented by business travelers and conferences. Everyone is carrying a tub full of A/V equipment around there! One complex had a sign out front for space to rent, but they worded it "Opportunities Available." Opportunities! I decided that today would be a great opportunity to create the best Gilligan's Island ever!

Well, that didn't happen in the matinee, which was, let's say, not great. But once I got to have a talk with my better half, I was ready to focus, so I listened to bodhipaksa's Guided Meditations for Busy People and practiced Being in the Moment. Our 8 pm show was amazing. Mr. Howell's parents were in the audience, and I know we were all giving it our best to make it perfect for them.

Yesterday morning, I was going to skip the run, but I was so logy from sleeping in a hotel bed that I thought I'd take a walk. Well, as soon as I got out there, my feet started running, so I decided to take myself down Salisbury Road for a spell. On my return to the hotel, I saw the most beautiful birds feeding in the grasses around one of Florida's aforementioned "natural" water formations. There were two, and they were small, obviously wading birds. Their feathers were snow white, except around the eye, which was pink/red, like their thin, long, curved beaks. Their long legs were also pink, and they dipped their beaks into the ground to pick up bugs? seeds? probably bugs with a silent grace, completely ignoring my presence, at first. However, after about a minute of watching them, they seemed to sense me staring at them and they went stock still. If they spoke to one another, I imagine the conversation went something like this:

BIRD 1: Psst. You see that big thing there?
BIRD 2: Yeah.
BIRD 1: I think it's watching us.
BIRD 2: Don't panic, don't panic... let's confuse it.
BIRD 1: OK, you fly off that way, then I'll go the other way. Don't look back. I'll see you on the other side of the highway.
BIRD 2: Stay safe! Don't be a hero!

As they flew away, I noticed black points on the undersides of their wings. A Google search revealed that I was stalking a couple of Ibises.

A nice way to start the day!

Our matinee was uneventful, and after a harried trek to the local Walgreens for supplies (SUPPLIES!), I joined the group on the bus for our overnight trip to Glen Allen. A terrible car accident slowed us down on I-95 near Savannah, but we finally got moving once it was cleared. One of our cast members had never seen Ghostbusters before (!), so I had the surreal experience of watching Ghostbusters on a moving rock n roll bus in the middle of the night. I never realized how much of that dialogue I have committed to memory!

Early this morning, we checked in to the beyond spacious Comfort Suites of Glen Allen, VA, which seems to be closest to Richmond, VA, by way of big cities. I've been enjoying the sitting room, giant flat panel TV and WiFi all morning, and I intend to hit the indoor pool anon. Hmm, "anon"? Well, it works. Tonight we have a Meet n Greet after the show for VIP audience members. I hope they enjoy seeing my stage makeup up close and personal! Until then, I am, from Virginia, your faithful Mrs. Howell.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Highs and a few lows... To be expected... Now, about the birds, I realize, ever since you were born, you've been assumimg that the whole world has been watching you adoringly. Well, as your big sis I must say, even though I, like so many, adore you... Alas, the birds probably weren't aware enough of your greatness to have a conversation about you... LOL!!... I love that imagination lady!!... Hang in there, enjoy the meditations, recalling lines from classic movies, and call the DH often... Hey, wait... Call me too!! I'm here for you, Mrs. Howell, and we will see you in Elyria... Love you, me